Deron Williams Set For Surgery On Both Ankles

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, May 22, 2014 with No comments
By Nick Ziegler (@Ziggy26x)

May 22nd, 2014

The 2014 off-season has begun for the Brooklyn Nets, and with that will surely come change, but for their face of the franchise and 100 million dollar man Deron Williams it will mean surgery. The day after Memorial Day, Williams will be undergoing ankle surgeries on both his right and left ankles.

In the right ankle the surgery will far less intrusive than the left, as for the right ankle it will just require the removal of some bone spurs. In the left ankle however, it will be a full arthroscopic cleanout with bone spurs being removed from both the front and back of the ankle.

Since joining the Nets, the ankles of Williams have been watched carefully, and it is well noted that they are not what they use to be. Usually for Williams either some cortisone shots or getting the platelet-rich plasma injection surgeries. They have helped with the pain, but the problem hasn’t gone away for Williams, so surgery seems like the needed and smart thing to do.

Getty

"I feel like I've kind of let people down, so I don't like feeling like that," Williams said. "I take my job seriously, I work hard in the off-season, I work hard every day. It's just real frustrating not to be able to play how I'm capable of playing.

"I used to step on the court and feel like I was the best player no matter who I played against, so I gotta get back to that. Even if I'm not the best player on the court, I gotta feel like I am."

After a lot of struggles in the postseason for Williams, and a lot of money still owed to him the Nets will hope these procedures work for Williams, as moving such a big contract is difficult, and it’s even more difficult when that player has seen his stats decline in the past few seasons.