Kevin Durant sheds light on Team USA departure in HBO documentary

Posted by Unknown on Monday, November 03, 2014 with No comments
August 7th, 2014

“This was an extremely difficult decision as I take great pride in representing our country,” said Durant. “I know that I owe it to my USA Basketball teammates to be totally invested in the experience. After going through training camp with USAB, I realized I could not fulfill my responsibilities to the team from both a time and energy standpoint. I need to take a step back and take some time away, both mentally and physically in order to prepare for the upcoming NBA season. I will be rooting for USAB and look forward to future opportunities with them.”

It was seemed too convenient at the time, to manufactured and not from the heart.  When Team USA needed him the most after the injury to Paul George, Oklahoma City Thunder F Kevin Durant stepped away citing fatigue.  Only 7 days removed from George's gruesome injury and an off-season that included workouts with Los Angeles Lakers G Steve Nash and New York Knicks F Carmelo Anthony, the reigning league MVP needed a break or so many thought.  

Tuesday night, October 4th, HBO will air The Offseason:  Kevin Durant.  The 60 minute documentary showed a glimpse of what it's like to be Kevin Durant on and off the court, an intimate detail piece of work which also feature the real reason Durant decided to step away from Team USA. While at a basketball camp Durant decided that he couldn't move past George's injury and sent a text to Coach K indicating a need to talk.  

“It took everything out of me seeing that,” Durant later told friend Randy Williams and a Nike executive at his camp of George. “Everything I had to play for Team USA, that injury stripped it away from me.”
Without spoiling, one could see the tense moment as someone handed Durant the phone and he simply asked the follow:  
“That’s him?”
The situation could have been handled smoother, the truth could have been demanded by fans on the time of his departure but this coming Tuesday on HBO at 10 pm ET, the truth was revealed and the veil that has always shrouded Kevin Durant for the duration of his career was finally ripped away.  From a desire to not be second, to the drive of validation to win a champion, The Offseason offered it all.  

“It was cool to see how moved people were by my speech, but that’s not what I’m here to do,” Durant said in the film. “I’m in this league to win a championship.”